Everyone needs to be able to attend activities, work, and have a rest. We offer respite services tailored to suit your needs whilst your family member receives outstanding care from our experienced community care workers. The Respite Team believe in the importance of well-being, happiness, joy and supporting clients in creating a life worth living.
The Senior's Respite Service is funded by the Australian Government under the National Respite for Carer's Program. This service will provide flexible respite to carers of frail older people, people with dementia and people with dementia and challenging behaviours. Respite can be provided in a number of ways and is tailored to meet the needs of the carer and the person they care for.
Available for people in the Lismore and Richmond Valley LGAs.
Anyone in the community can make a referral to this service by either telephone, fax or in person by contacting our office. Referrals can also be made by other service providers using a CIARR.
Respite can be provided:
• In the persons own home on weekdays, evenings or weekends or Overnight if appropriate
• Social days at the Senior Day Club based at Our Lady of Lourdes, 135 Dibbs Street, East Lismore on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9.30am–2.30pm
• Small group outings or individual outings to access activities in Lismore, Evans Head, Kyogle and Casino communities
• Short Term Overnight Respite in our Respite Unit
In Home Respite $6 per hour
Centre Based (Day Club) $18 per day (meal included)
Cost may differ for outings and special events
Community Access $6 per hour (does not include meal)
Overnight In Home or 'Jubilee Unit' $52 / night until 10am
(No one is refused service due to an inability to pay. This will be discussed at the assessment)
Aims to improve the quality of life for both the carer and the care recipient and should endeavour to address goals such as:
• Remaining active in the community for as long as possible
• Reduce social isolation and promote health, well-being and independence
• Provide opportunities for the carer to meet social, emotional, family and work needs
• Provide opportunities for the recipient for social engagement, companionship and stimulation
The Respite Team have embraced the Eden Alternative to help improve the well-being of our care recipients and bring a little joy to their lives.
• We create opportunities for recipients to give care as well receive it. This includes supporting school children and caring for plants and our mascot, Daisy the Cocker Spaniel.
• We are providing opportunities for social interaction with others
• We are encouraging recipients to become active in their community
• We encourage recipients to be involved in their care plan as much as possible as well as planning day club events and activities
Initial Assessment - When a telephone referral is received, a member of the Respite Team who answers the call will complete the Intake/Assessment Form to determine eligibility of the client and the services that best suit the needs of the carer and the recipient. A member of the Respite Team will contact the Carer to complete the assessment process. Once the Intake/Assessment process is completed, the respite care plan will be developed for the client.
Review Process - A review is completed every six months (at a minimum) with both the carer and the recipient. Not only do we like to know how the service is working for you, it’s a chance to catch up and see how you are traveling and whether we can support you with anything else. It’s also important to keep our information current, such as health and medication records of the recipient. All this helps us to provide the best service possible.
Access to this service is not automatic and carers are assessed on a case by case basis. Some factors our team will consider when assessing recipients are:
• Are other services providing support?
• Is the recipient high care of low care?
• Is the carer experiencing significant stress?
• Does the carer have other commitments such as work or other dependents
To find out more about the range of services offered through St Carthage’s Community Care feel free to contact us Contact Us